Pet safety is an issue that every pet owner needs to remain mindful of on a daily basis. Sometimes daily routines and habits can unknowingly expose my pet to harm. This article found on the Drs. Foster and Smith pet blog lists some very common things found in homes that could easily harm your pet.
Household Hazards for Pets
by Ellen B. on September 25, 2009
Keeping your pet safe can be challenging due to their curious nature. Cats and dogs like to snoop, so owners need to take a few precautions. My dog is most famous for dumpster diving in the bathroom trash can. It really scared me when I saw he had a razor out, so I now have a covered trash can. Here are a few other common household items that are hazardous for pets:
Plants - Many common plants can make your pet ill. Our educational staff has a great article that details some poisonous plants and the problems they could cause.
Medications - Both yours and your pet’s prescription and supplements can be harmful to your pet. Dogs and puppies can easily chew through a plastic container.
Poisonous Foods - There are many human foods that poison pets. You owe it to your pet to know what they are! Chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins, alcohol, apple seeds… Checkout these more complete lists of foods that are dangerous for dogs and cats.
Paper Shredder – Unplug your paper shredder when not in use. Your dog’s tongue can get caught…ugly outcome.
Electric Cords – These are especially tempting to puppies because they like to chew, but any age pet could potentially decide to investigate. Avoid possible electric shock by unplugging accessible cords, encasing cords in plastic tubing (PVC pipe) or purchase a cord protector that prevents your pet from chewing on the cord.
Purse - Never leave your purse on the floor or low-level surface. There are so many potential hazards typically carried in a purse; anything from pain relievers to sharp objects.
Rat Poison/Mouse Traps – When you are focused on getting rid of the rodent problem, you can easily forget that your pet might roam or sniff ANYWHERE he can get!
Toilet Bowl Cleaners – My rule is to never use automatic toilet bowl cleaners if there is a pet in the house. Even if your pet “doesn’t drink from the toilet”, you just never know. Don’t take the chance.
Trash Cans – Kitchen garbage can contain tempting items that could result in your pet choking or being poisoned. Bathroom garbage containers often have razors and cleansing products. Keep doors closed or garbage containers concealed!
Xylitol (Sugar Substitute) – Found in some sugar-free chewing gum, candy, chewable vitamins, and baked goods, xylitol can be poisonous and life-threatening to pets. This article details signs and symptoms of xylitol poisoning.
A few basic items are very helpful for pet safety:
* Gates are an easy way to create off-limit areas that could pose safety issues in your house.
* Crates and kennels keep your pet safe when you are not there to supervise.
Please leave a comment and share your pet safety tips or any other household hazards.