Friday, February 8, 2008

Lucky Dog

I have a 10-year old black lab mix named Lucky. I got him from the local animal shelter when he as 6 years old. Lucky is the most faithful friend anyone could ask for. Sometimes I wish I was as "happy go lucky" as Lucky!

With all the joy and love Lucky has brought to our family, I thank God that my son, out of the blue, almost insisted that I "just go look" at the dogs in the shelter. I visited the shelter several times that week in effort to make a good decision. One of the best things I did was to bring a few of the dogs into a little room. When they were alone with me, I could see how they how they settled down. What living creature can not be a little edgy being locked in a cage with many other dogs barking away.

Of course my kids' promises of feeding and walking the dog every day, and vacuuming every other day fell by the wayside. As hard as I tried to make my kids Lucky's alpha, I am Lucky's alpha. He loves me unconditionally, and makes me feel very lucky.

This little clip reminds me of how dogs are so happy:

Thinking about getting a pet? It's a long-term, family-changing decision. Here's an article to help you think it through: http://www.doginfomat.com/b4ugetadog.htm

Of course you need a few good pet supplies and need to take a little time to educate yourself on how to care for your new pet. I hope this blog will help do just that. I'm not a professional, but have learned to use my resources to make sure Lucky stays happy, healthy and safe. Do your research and sole searching before bringing your "lucky dog" home.

No comments: